Tuesday, February 20, 2007

Shhhhh!


Not knowing the customs and courtesies of a city you have just touched down in is similar to being in a state of ignorant bliss. Spewing a consistent stream of exclamations about your new surroundings while cruising the trams, laughing and smiling with your companions all the while—you wouldn’t think anything of it. But Czech people do. And what’s worse, 5-year-olds do too. The taciturn state of public conduct in Prague points back to the age of Communism, which plastered stolid expressions and tight lips on the faces of the Czechs. A couple decades after democracy reinstated itself, remnants of that lifestyle persist in the youngsters reared by those who were forced to put their conviviality on hold. I learned so much when, on my first Monday morning in the city, I was the recipient of cherubic glares from a neat row of children riding the tram to school. They occupied one whole length of the car, and defied what would be conventional in the States by keeping their morning banter at a whisper-quiet level. It wasn’t until I listened intently at my Czech culture lecture that I learned of my misstep; quiet is valued in this country where, not too long ago, keeping one’s business his own was a matter of avoiding arrest (or worse) by the hand of the Communist government. Wanting to fit in with my new neighbors, I made sure to take that rule to heart... and fast.

It's funny now though, as it's been a little over a month since I got to Prague and I still find myself letting a giggle slip out of mouth (or worse, a chuckle on some late night rides home) every once in a while. Admittedly, I'm quick to stifle myself, but I still feel like my transgressions kick me to the back of the discreet-expat wannabe line. Regardless, I consider myself an upstanding assimilation artist and find stern looks creeping onto my own face when a rowdy group of shameless Italian kids waiting for the metro starts bellowing dramatic love songs to the heavens. I guess I'll never be a full-fledged customs abiding citizen though, because I can't help but at least hum along with the tourists, even if it's only in my head.

No comments: