Saturday, January 20, 2007

Clutching your Clutch...

We've been warned by everyone from tour guides to RA's to parents and professors... the gypsies (aka Roma) in Prague are notorious for their pickpocketing craft. We've been holding onto bags and eyeing suspicious characters, eager to witness a theft firsthand, but even standing at the Astronomical clock at noon (crowds like heaven for a slick dude/ette) proved fruitless. They must be THAT good.

Meanwhile, the storm of all European history rocked Prague a couple nights ago. The winds were out of control, dust and debris flying in any unprotected eyes (I was a mess) and then possibly the most intense rain storm I have ever witnessed. Needless to say, Thursday was deemed a "recovery" night, but the weather's been agreeable since. Still, we have our travel insurance just in case we need to get airlifted out of here. Wouldn't that make for a good entry....

Yesterday was the last day of intensive survival Czech class, so to celebrate, our great teacher brought a bottle of chilled Becherovka liqour to class.

Besides spilling it all over my desk (I swore I hadn't snuck some before class) it was... kinda gross. Could it have been the fact that we were taking swigs at 11 AM? Probably. But anyway, something like that had to be documented (visual aid above). After that, we went to lunch at a nice restaurant by Wenceslas Square with our teacher and a colonel of the US army who works at the embassy here. The most useful tip we learned from them was that the daily specials, written only in Czech, are geared towards the locals who might not want to drop the equivalent of $20 on lunch. Jason and I got meals and drinks, tax and tip included, for $10. That's what I'm talking about... and now that we can decode Czech food words, you can bet we'll be making that move a lot.

We went to the opera last night, which was a first for me. Culture abounds in Praha, and unlike my time in New York I actually plan on taking full advantage of it. We saw Carmen at the Statni Opera House and it was enlightening. You see, the only subtitles were in Czech and the actual script was in French, so I was reduced to appreciating the voices, sets, costumes, and orchestra, all of which were great by my standards. I managed to sneak a picture during one of the acts, so you can enjoy that here:

We're venturing into Old Town tonight to check out an American expat-owned club... more on that later.

Ciao!

No comments: