Sunday, January 14, 2007

The First Post....



Welcome to my Prague blog! Nice rhyme, huh? I'm gonna try to keep up with this as best as possible and post pictures and all that. I've got around four months in this fine central European city, but I hear that people usually become completely distracted by its allure and forget all obligations. In that case, this won't be an obligation. Rather, it'll be something I'll probably appreciate later in life, so I'll think of that every time I get starry eyed. For now, here's what today was like:

We pretty much had a little orientation session with some survival info and took a "must know" tour, like bank/post office/NYU academic building etc. The breakfast they served was muffins and pastries, and the lunch was either cheese baguettes or chicken ones. The Czechs love their cheeses. I think there was a combo of at least three different ones in my sandwich. Some people were grossed out, but it's cool having something different in each bite.

We all got cell phones at Vodafone and learned that calls between people with same carriers are cheaper. A couple of my friends were smart and ordered sweet phones (motorola KRZRs) on eBay before they left and got sim cards here= smartest idea ever because now they have great phones while most of us have the cheapest/lamest ones. On the other hand, it is nice to have a tiny phone instead of the bulky-but-useful Sidekick. Speaking of which, I am definitely getting an Apple iPhone when I get home... go to the Apple website and watch the keynote speech by Steve Jobs (CEO), the device is out of control amazing.

We also went to Tesco, which is like Target with a supermarket. I got some towels and I'm going back for sheets tomorrow... I passed out (completely sober) with gum in my mouth and now it's stuck to the fitted sheet. You see, I was going to go out last night with a bunch of kids, but I reclined to rest my eyes and ended up falling into a deep slumber. Oh well, tonight will be the start of fun... we found a bar that plays Pats games so we're gonna roll over there and check it out. For now, I have to go catch a dorm meeting and shower. Ciao!

No comments: