Monday, January 22, 2007

Don't Trust the Sunshine.

So on Sunday we trekked to the wondrous castle high atop a hill overlooking the city. En route to Tram 22 (aka the Pickpocket Express), the weirdest weather fell upon us... at first a drizzle amidst sparkling sunshine, and then fierce winds and a hail-ish mixture as we boarded the tram. I had eyed my umbrella before walking out the door, but decided against toting along since the sun had been beaming all morning. And thus I realized you can't trust the weather, in New England OR in Prague. Luckily, the inclement weather subsided, leaving us with a frigidly sunny day.



The castle grounds tour was led by the same guide that showed us around Old Town. She's a peppy lady and very mom-like, always asking if we're too cold to go on. Cold we were, but we trooped through it. My ballet flats were a less-than-genius idea for the event, even with leg warmers tucked into them, and retrospectively I don't know how I overlooked my diesel Uggs when getting dressed. Anyway, the architecture was stunning. People remark about how Prague is so beautifully preserved (note the fact that it was one of few cities not bombed in WWII), but besides the obvious, what's even more impressive is that people were able to build these cathedrals and castles without the modern technology we have today. We learned that wooden scaffolding, buttresses, and strict scheduling were some of the elements that allowed for the labor to pay off.

While we walked through one of the squares we picked up some hot mulled wine-- definitely a little different, and seeing as to how I'm not such a wine fan, it wasn't the most delicious beverage. BUT the tongue burn and warmed throat was nothing to argue with when I could barely feel my face.


We stopped for some dinner on the way home, and on this I have to comment. First of all, the amount of restaurants in Prague is so great that I'm sure you can sit down and be the only patron for the entirety of your meal. What does this mean? Why, speedy service and a calming ambience. This particular joint was down a small alley and offered the most delectable dish I've had since touching down in the Czech Republic. Potatoes, onions, mushrooms and bacon prepared to a stewy consistency. Coupled with an amazing batch of freshly baked baguettes, it was to die for.

And another thing about eating establishments... you're allowed to bring dogs in with you! Dogs are ridiculously well-behaved here, to the point that most people walk them sans leash. At that restaurant, and a few other casual cafes I've eaten in, there have been dogs lying under owners' chairs, patiently and silently awaiting for the meal to end and the walk to begin. Amazing.

That night (Sunday), our dorm hosted one of Prague's most popular jazz bands in our basement. It was packed with kids from all three dorms, and the sweet sound of a good band and impressive female singer swirled about.

Free apple juice, among other beverages, was served, and the night was a relaxing hit. The band, Badfinger, further cemented my interest in jazz... I think I can confidently say I like the genre.

No comments: